March 17, 2020
WHAT IS COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS)?
It is a new disease that has not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more serious respiratory infections like bronchitis or pneumonia.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
Those with COVID-19 may have little to no symptoms. Symptoms can take up to 14 days to appear after you have come in contact with it. The symptoms are like the cold or flu.
- Difficulty breathing
Complications from COVID-19 can include serious conditions like pneumonia, kidney failure, or in some cases, death.
There is an increased risk factor for more severe outcomes for people who are elderly (aged 60 and over) and for people who have:
- Compromised immune systems
- Underlying chronic medical conditions
- Chronic lung problems
- Cardiovascular disease
HOW IS COVID-19 TRANSMITTED?
It is believed to be transmitted by:
- Droplets when coughing, sneezing touching contaminated surfaces then touching your eyes, nose or mouth. (T-zone)
- Direct contact with a sick person
- Surfaces recently touched by an infected person
PREVENTION & TREATMENT TO AVOID THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
Currently, there is no treatment for COVID-19. However, we all can work together to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and protect ourselves and others by:
- Practicing regular hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds or use of hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
- Cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve or into a tissue
- Avoid close contact–practice social distancing
- Limit the number of visitors in your home
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- If you are sick, stay home
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces regularly (ie. Tables, cellphones, light switches, money, keyboard toilets, sinks, door handles, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies can include household cleaning supplies; regular detergents for washing dishes and laundry; plastic garbage bags; household bleach for creating solution 1 part bleach to 9 parts water to disinfect surfaces
- Be aware of the screening process of COVID-19
IF YOU ARE SICK
Please call ahead to your doctor’s office/health clinic if you develop a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, if you have travelled outside of Canada, or have been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19.
MAKE A PLAN
Create a plan based on your needs and daily routines, including having other options in place for child, elder and pet care. Remember to practice mindfulness and respect to others.
- Food: You do not have to buy everything at once, grab what is needed. It is important to make sure that you have a two-week supply.
- Non-perishable food items; water; cleaning supplies; hygiene products, etc
- Fill your prescriptions
- Make work arrangements—if you are not feeling well, or if someone in your household is not feeling well, please let your employer know
- Make childcare arrangement
- Stay informed and up to date
- Updates and information can be found at the Wikwemikong Health Centre Facebook page OR wiikwemkoong.ca website
- Unless necessary, please limit travel
Be safe, be mindful, be respectful. Social distancing and proper hand hygiene is SUPER important to prevent COVID-19 from spreading. Check in with your family and neighbours. Be kind.