Wikwemikong Governance Unit
Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory is progressing towards the strengthening of our own Governance Structure and Governance Process with continuous improvements. This will lead to greater quality of life and increased well-being for all Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek.
Promote and ensure good governance based on our cultures and traditions.
An empowered, self-sufficient Anishinaabek Nation governed by our GChi-Naaknigewin based on traditions, customs and Anishinaabe-aadziwin.
Progress towards the strengthening of our own governance structure and processes with continuous improvements for the benefit and well-being of all Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek and future generations.
Highlights of the Governance Unit
- Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigwewin ( Ratified June 2014)
- Matrimonial Real Property (Law Enacted December 15, 2014)
- Children’s Bill of Rights (Signed BCR November 27, 2013)
- Residency Law (Law Enacted August 8, 2016)
- Community Standards (Approved by E’gimaajik, April 4, 2016)
- Interment/Burial Policy (approved June 2019).
- Leadership Manual and Orientation Guide: A Governance Manual (Approved June 18, 2018)
- Implement of our Gchi-Naaknigewin
- Wiikwemkoong Election Law
- Consultation Law /Community Engagement Strategy
- Review of all Patents, Terms of Reference, Internal and External Corporate documents and continue to work on the Draft MOU for Corporations
- Complete community consultations on the Wiikwemkoong E’Debaaknigejig Naaknigewin (Justice Council Law) and complete 3rd and final reading
Wiikwemkoong G’chi Naaknigewin is Our Supreme Law
Although we have traditional forms of governance, such as our Eagle Staff; our Pipes; our Drums; our Songs; our Lodges; our Ceremonies, etc… Those cannot speak on our behalf in the Courts. Thus we developed our own constitution – Wiikwemkoong G’Chi Naaknigewin – which can speak on OUR processes. It enables us to make OUR own decisions here.
Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin PREAMBLE states the following:
We are Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek. Our home is Odawa Mnis and surrounding islands. Our lands are Unceded. We have retained these lands for our future generations so that they can continue to be Anishinaabe. We have not relinquished any of our rights to any of the lands in the Great Lakes Basin to any nation. We continue to govern the waters, airs, and lands including Islands, as our ancestors have since time immemorial. The Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin will ensure the protection of our Rights, both as individuals and as a collective.
Wiikwemkoong Governance Unit
19-A Complex Drive, P.O. Box 112
Tel: 705-859-3122, ext. 238
Toll Free: 1-800-880-1406
Visit these websites for updates and more information