Wikwemikong Governance Unit
Governance Unit News
The Wiikwemkoong Governance Unit is seeking your participation and feedback on the “Draft Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory Gimaakeng Naaknigewin (Election Law)”
January 28, 2020 (Tuesday) @ The Wiikwemkoong Arena
2338 Wikwemikong Way From 5 pm to 8 pm
Supper Provided: Beef Stew & Oven-baked Scone & Dessert
Your comments, suggestions, and participation is needed.
Door Prizes to be won.
For more information contact: Noella Jacko, Governance Unit Manager
Phone: 705 859-3122, ext. 238
Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory is progressing towards the strengthening of our own Governance Structure and Governance Process with continuous improvements. This will lead to greater quality of life and increased well-being for all Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek.
Promote and ensure good governance based on our cultures and traditions.
An empowered, self-sufficient Anishinaabek Nation governed by our GChi-Naaknigewin based on traditions, customs and Anishinaabe-aadziwin.
Progress towards the strengthening of our own governance structure and processes with continuous improvements for the benefit and well-being of all Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek and future generations.
Wiikwemkoong Governance Committee
2018-2020 Portfolio Holders
Councillor Lorraine Fox
Councillor Brian Peltier
Governance Committee Members
Jeanette Corbiere Lavell
Mary Jo Wabano
The Governance Committee meets at least once a month. The meetings are scheduled every third (3rd) Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm in the Band Office Council Chambers. The meetings are open to the Wiikwemkoong Anishnaabek.
Highlights of the Governance Unit
- Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigwewin ( Ratified June 2014)
- Matrimonial Real Property (Law Enacted December 15, 2014)
- Children’s Bill of Rights (Signed BCR November 27, 2013)
- Residency Law (Law Enacted August 8, 2016)
- Wiikwemkoong E’Debaaknigejig Naaknigewin (Justice Council Law) (2nd reading, August 8, 2016)
- Standardized Terms of Reference (TOR): (Approved by E’gimaajik, 2016)
- Community Standards (Approved by E’gimaajik, April 4, 2016)
- Finalize the Interment/Burial Policy (approved in principle on Aug 8, 2016 until Review is complete by various programs/depts.)
- Evaluation Report on the Pillar Government Structure (approved by E’gimaajik, March 6, 2017)
- The Comprehensive Community Plan has been updated for the Governance Unit (approved by E’gimaajik, March 6, 2017)
- Governance Unit Strategic Plan 2017-2022 (approved by E’gimaajik, March 6, 2017)
- Final Synopsis Report on the Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreements (Accepted by E’gimaajik, January 8, 2018)
- Leadership Manual and Orientation Guide: A Governance Manual (Approved June 18, 2018)
- Implement of our Gchi-Naaknigewin
- Wiikwemkoong Election Law
- Consultation Law /Community Engagement Strategy
- Review of all Patents, Terms of Reference, Internal and External Corporate documents and continue to work on the Draft MOU for Corporations
- E’gimaajik to provide direction on the governance structure/pillar system
- Complete community consultations on the Wiikwemkoong E’Debaaknigejig Naaknigewin (Justice Council Law) and complete 3rd and final reading
- Finalize the Interment/Burial Policy
Wiikwemkoong G’chi Naaknigewin is Our Supreme Law
Although we have traditional forms of governance, such as our Eagle Staff; our Pipes; our Drums; our Songs; our Lodges; our Ceremonies, etc… Those cannot speak on our behalf in the Courts. Thus we developed our own constitution – Wiikwemkoong G’Chi Naaknigewin – which can speak on OUR processes. It enables us to make OUR own decisions here.
Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin PREAMBLE states the following:
We are Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek. Our home is Odawa Mnis and surrounding islands. Our lands are Unceded. We have retained these lands for our future generations so that they can continue to be Anishinaabe. We have not relinquished any of our rights to any of the lands in the Great Lakes Basin to any nation. We continue to govern the waters, airs, and lands including Islands, as our ancestors have since time immemorial. The Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin will ensure the protection of our Rights, both as individuals and as a collective.
Wiikwemkoong Governance Unit
Governance Unit Manager
19-A Complex Drive, P.O. Box 112