Wikwemikong Governance Unit
Noella Jacko is the Governance Unit Manager for Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory since January 26, 2015. Currently, Wiikwemkoong is progressing towards the strengthening of our own Governance Structure and Governance Process with continuous improvements. This will lead to greater quality of life and increased well-being for all Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek.
Wiikwemkoong Governance Committee
2016-2018 Portfolio Holders
Councillor Lorraine Fox
Councillor Rachel Manitowabi
Governance Committee Members
Jeanette Corbiere Lavell
The Governance Committee meets at least once a month. The meetings are scheduled every third (3rd) Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm in the Band Office Council Chambers. The meetings are open to the Wiikwemkoong Anishnaabek.
Highlights of the Governance Unit
- The Wiikwemkoong G’Chi Naaknigewin was Ratified on June 14, 2014
- The Residency Law was approved on August 8, 2016 by Chief and Council under the G-Chi Naaknigewin Law Making Process
- The Matrimonial Real Property Law was approved by Chief and Council on March 30, 2015 under the G’Chi Naaknigewin Law Making Process
- The Wiikwemkoong E’debaknigejig Naaknigewin (Justice Council Law) passed second reading on August 8, 2016 by Chief and Council and are currently seeking community input/feedback.
- The Wiikwemkoong Government Pillar Poster was approved by Chief and Council on March 30, 2015 and will be reviewed by each of the six (6) Pillar Committees.
- The Interment/Burial Policy needs its final recommendations from other various departments to be presented at Chief and Council for final approval.
- The Wiikwemkoong Community Standards have been approved on April 4, 2016.
- Implementation of our G’chi Naaknigewin
- Wiikwemkoong E’debaknigejig Naaknigewin (Justice Council Law)
- Communications/Community Engagement Policy
- Mandates and Objectives for each Pillar
- Custom Election Code
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Citizenship Naaknigewin
- Financial Code
- Administration Code
- Capacity Development
Wiikwemkoong G’chi Naaknigewin is Our Supreme Law
Although we have traditional forms of governance, such as our Eagle Staff; our Pipes; our Drums; our Songs; our Lodges; our Ceremonies, etc… those cannot speak on our behalf in the Courts. Thus we developed our own constitution – Wiikwemkoong G’Chi Naaknigewin – which can speak on OUR processes. It enables us to make OUR own decisions here.
Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin PREAMBLE states the following:
We are Wiikwemkoong Anishinaabek. Our home is Odawa Mnis and surrounding islands. Our lands are Unceded. We have retained these lands for our future generations so that they can continue to be Anishinaabe. We have not relinquished any of our rights to any of the lands in the Great Lakes Basin to any nation. We continue to govern the waters, airs, and lands including Islands, as our ancestors have since time immemorial. The Wiikwemkoong Gchi-Naaknigewin will ensure the protection of our Rights, both as individuals and as a collective.
Wiikwemkoong Governance Unit
Governance Unit Manager
19-A Complex Drive, P.O. Box 112