Wiikwemkoong Child Advocacy
Speak For Little Ones / Voices
This program represents the Wiikwemkoong Territory, on behalf of its registered members.
Child Advocacy will advocate, mediate in a supportive role to assist parents in developing healthy plans for their child(ren) and their family. Finding a resolution when addressing child protection concerns for – “The best Interest of the child(ren) and their families”.
Child Advocacy Role
We advocate for any child welfare matter 24/7 – 7 days a week, including holidays. Our Mission will oversee, monitor and advocate child’s matter.
Balancing of Life
~ with Spiritual, Physical, Mental and Emotional guidance ~
How We Can Help
Collaboration with Child and Family Services, within Canada and Working with families to:
- Advocate for child and or the family
- Design Plans – Best of the Child
- Implement Plans with Goals
- Investigate the allegations
- Negotiate / Advocate
- Seek Other Families / Relatives / Friends
Guided by each of Child and Family Services Acts:
- Chi Naaknigewin
- Children’s Law
- Criminal Code
- Education Act
- Housing Regulations
- Human Rights
- Mental Health
- Wiikwemkoong Children’s Bill of Rights
- To act on behalf of the Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory in child protection matters of the “Best Interest” of the Child.
- To liaise with other agencies in dealing with child protection matters, ie. Kina, Children’s Aid Society, Governement Agencies, Court, Ontario Works and Associate Organizations on and off the reserve.
- To work in cooperation with the legal counsel for the benefits of the families.
- To make presentations before courts (if needed) or child welfare agencies on behalf of the families in regards to plans of care.
- To help ensure culturally appropriate disposition of each case.
Where We Are
Our Office is located in the WUT Band Complex, 19A Complex Drive, Wiikwemkoong, Ontario.
- Barbara Peltier, Child Advocacy Team Leader – Ext # 289
- Lloyd McGregor, Child Advocate – Ext # 235
- Loretta Pangowish, Child Advocate – Ext # 288
- Dawn Ominika, Administrative Support – Ext # 290
Wiikwemkoong Public Library