Trail Development Services
Trail Development Services
Let us assist you in planning, designing and building your trail system
Are you considering developing trails for recreational, health or economic development opportunities? Our Trail Development Team can assist in planning, designing and building your trail system. Our trail specialists can assist your community in planning and constructing your trail project while training your staff in the fundamentals behind proper planning, sustainable construction methods and risk management.
Our Trail Development Team partners with industry professionals to offer accredited training in both mechanized and hand built applications while constructing your trail project.
Plan, Design & Build
Our team uses the plan, design and build model for trail construction to develop the best possible user experience trail systems. When using this process properly it ensures better efficiencies during all stages of trail development. Spending adequate time and resources in the planning and designing stages will allow the building phase to be carried out more precisely and efficiently. When the principles of sustainable trail building are executed properly the trail will only require minimal trail maintenance.
- Coordinate with stakeholders & community partners to identify desires, needs and wants in the trail development including asset inventory for Economic Development, Trails Tourism and Health/Recreation.
- Work with land use planners to identify land usage,cultural, historical sites, species at risk and ecologically sensitive areas.
- Assess and mitigate risk.
- Develop a trail plan that is inclusive of costing, materials and signage needs.
- Use principles of sustainable trail building to address the desires, needs and wants from the planning phase.
- Field work consists of plotting trail, assessing positive control points and finding usable materials.
- Pin flag to ensure proper trail flow and alignment.
- Skillfully construct the trail by following the design while also adjusting when necessary for unaccounted for opportunities and challenges.
- Experienced and qualified trail builders ensure minimal future trail maintenance.
- Hybrid Build – In class and in-field training in Mechanized and Hand built applications while learning the principles of sustainable trail construction.
- Trail boardwalk and bridge training
Mechanized equipment is used in trail building to offset the higher cost of hand building. A mechanized trail builder is able to complete a considerable amount of trail in a short period of time. Production rates vary depending on such items as: the slope of the terrain, soil conditions, climate, trail usage and existing foliage density.
Hand built trails require the use of hand tools to hand finish the trail surface and trim the back slope to the trail tread. Hand built trails are generally labor intensive projects and more conducive to back country hiking trails.
Past & Current Projects